When thinking about Thai Food, you probably think of noodle soup, Pad Thai, but in Thailand, you might see local people eating Pad See Ew or Rad Na more often.
Pad See Ew is an extremely popular Thai street foods. Traditionally made with Sen Yai ( Fat Rice Noodle) which are wide, thin rice noodles, but they are difficult to get in Ireland or might only come in frozen, which lost the flexibility of the real texture. So here we use the dried rice noodles instead , we will use the 10mm wide rice noodles which is much wider than the 3mm wide Pad Thai noodles.
200g / 7 oz dried wide rice stick noodles , or 450g fresh wide flat rice noodles
** Noodles - Prepare according to packet directions and drain. Time it so they're cooked just before using** 3 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cloves of garlic , very finely chopped
180g chicken meat, sliced
1 large egg
4 Chinese broccoli or Purple sprouting broccoli, cut into 2 inch length
Stir Fry Sauce:
2 tbsp Black Soy Sauce ( Sweet Soy Sauce)
2 tbsp Oyster sauce,
2 tsp Soy sauce
2 tsp White vinegar (white rice vinegar)
2 tsp Sugar
2 tbsp Water
1) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a very large heavy based skillet or wok over high heat.
2) Add garlic, cook 30-60 second but not brown. Add chicken, cook until it mostly changes from pink to white.
3) Add broccoli stems, cook until chicken is almost cooked through.
4) Add Chinese broccoli leaves, cook until just wilted.
5) Push everything to one side, crack egg in and scramble. Remove everything onto a plate.
6) Return the wok to stove, heat 2 tbsp oil over high heat.
7) Add noodles and Sauce. Toss as few times as possible to disperse Sauce and make edges of noodles caramelise. Quickly add chicken and veg back in, and toss to disperse. Serve immediately!