It is a popular dish in Chinese Restaurant, everyone love that sweet, mouth watering coating and the crispy texture, and it taste especially good with some boiled rice and a beer!
use this recipes to make it Vegan with JackFruit and it tastes amazing too, see another recipes here! The Honey Chilli Crispy Beef is more a restaurant dish then a home cooking, so the taste is rich, but it is not that difficult to cook it at home with less than 30 mins. Don't let the list of ingredients scare you off, once you made this you would never stop making it!
1 Can Young Jackfruit ( around 400g)
1/2 cup potato starch, or corn starch, tapioca starch
1/2 red pepper ( sliced)
Handful of sliced leek or onion
1 cup of Oil for frying
Toasted sesame seed 1 tsp
2 tbsp sliced spring onion
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp minced garlic
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dark sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
1/3 cup Agave Syrup
2 tbsp White vinegar
1/2 tsp chilli flakes ( can be more or less up to your taste)
1) Drain the Jackfruit slightly squeeze out some liquid, then put into a bowl, use 2 forks together to tear the chunks into smaller strips, mix the marinade of soy sauce and garlic.
2) Fill the wok with around 1 cup of oil, heat up and use a wooden chopstick or spoon to check, if it forms small bubbles when dipping the wooden spoon in, the oil is ready.
3) Add half the Jackfruit into the flour, toss them and add them into the hot oil, cook for 3 to 4 minutes until it is golden brown and crispy, take them up and drain in a sieve or Kitchen towel. Then repeat with the 2nd batch.
4) In a separate wok or deep frying pan, mix in all the Coating sauce, cook for 2 or 3 mins until it is reduced slightly and thicker. Add in the red Pepper and leek, cook for 30 sec, just cook them slightly.
5) Stir in all the Jackfruit, mix well until they are all coated with the sauce, serve on a plate and garish with the toasted sesame seed and spring onion.