Updated: Dec 16, 2020
It is a popular dish in Chinese Restaurant, everyone love that sweet, mouth watering coating and the crispy texture, and it taste especially good with some boiled rice and a beer!
I use this recipes to make it Vegan with JackFruit and it tastes amazing too, see another recipes here! The Honey Chilli Crispy Beef is more a restaurant dish then a home cooking, so the taste is rich, but it is not that difficult to cook it at home with less than 30 mins. Don't let the list of ingredients scare you off, once you made this you would never stop making it!
400g beef steak ( e.g sirloin, rib eye, round or flank)
1/2 cup potato starch, or corn starch, tapioca starch
1/2 red pepper ( sliced)
Handful of sliced leek or onion
1 cup of Oil for frying
Toasted sesame seed 1 tsp
2 tbsp sliced spring onion
1/2 tsp baking soda ( optional)
1 tsp water ( optional)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp minced garlic
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dark sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
1/3 cup honey
2 tbsp White vinegar
1/2 tsp chilli flakes ( can be more or less up to your taste)
1) Slice the beef thinly into small strips, mix the marinade of soy sauce and garlic.If the beef is not a very tender cut, eg round steak, add the 1/2 tsp of baking soda and 1 tsp water into the marinade. Let the beef to marinate for 30 mins, it would help the beef to get extra tender and juicy.
2) Fill the wok with around 1 cup of oil, heat up and use a wooden chopstick or spoon to check, if it forms small bubbles when dipping the wooden spoon in, the oil is ready.
3) Add half the beef into the flour, toss them and add them into the hot oil, cook for 3 to 4 minutes until it is golden brown and crispy, take them up and drain in a sieve or Kitchen towel. Then repeat with the 2nd batch.
4) In a separate wok or deep frying pan, mix in all the Coating sauce, cook for 2 or 3 mins until it is reduced slightly and thicker. Add in the red Pepper and leek, cook for 30 sec, just cook them slightly.
5) Stir in all the beef, mix well until they are all coated with the sauce,Serve on a plate and garish with the toasted sesame seed and spring onion.